Christmas Lights Most Likely Cause Of Fire
|Published: 20th December 2011 13:23|
A man was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke after a small fire at a house in Aylesbury last night. It is believed to have been started by Christmas lights.
Three crews from Aylesbury were called to the incident in Masons Way shortly before 10pm.
A curtain caught fire in a ground floor room and firefighters say the most likely cause was the Christmas lights in the window.
The occupants were alerted by smoke alarms fitted about six months ago by Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service.
Firefighters used a hose reel to put out the fire and a large fan to clear the smoke. They were at the scene for about an hour and carried out a home safety check before leaving.
If you would like a free home safety check, with free smoke alarms fitted where needed, ring Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service on 01296 744477 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The man was treated by paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service.
Watch Manager Kevin Mercer from Aylesbury Fire Station offered the following safety advice.
- Don't overload electrical sockets. Unplug Christmas lights when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Don't let bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, such as paper or fabrics.
- Check fairy lights are in good working order and replace any bulbs that blow.
- Make sure the fuse in the plug is the right size (check the box for advice).
- Check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign.
- Decorations can burn easily - so don't attach them to lights or heaters.
- Keep candles away from things that might catch fire, like Christmas trees, greeting cards, ribbons and other decorations.
- Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they're put out completely at night.