Save Stony Stratford Library Campaign Goes International
|Author: Andy Roberts||Published: 18th January 2011 09:16|
The 'Wot No Books' campaign organised by the Friends of Stony Stratford Library (FOSSL) to raise awareness about the potential closure of the library in our town has received massive exposure in the local, national and even international media in the last few days.
The AboutMyArea/MK11 site has received lots of hits from Australia, Taiwan, Japan, South Africa and all over Europe and North America.
The campaign on social networking site Twitter has also been huge. The #SaveLibraries tag has been seen 'trending' a few times since Saturday, meaning that it is one of the most tweeted terms across the whole network. You can follow our tweets at www.twitter.com/StonyStratford.
The story was featured on the Steve Lamacq show on BBC 6 Music yesterday (Monday) and it was also covered on BBC Radio 5 Live's Drive show. You can listen to the BBC 5 Live article on the BBC iPlayer here (skip to 1hour 40minutes).
BBC Radio 2 also picked up the story. You can hear the relevant extract from the Jeremy Vine show here. Thanks to Malcolm Jones for editing that clip for us.
Someone from The New Yorker magazine has been in touch, and they are interested in running an article about the story too.
The 'Wot No Books' strategy has also impressed campaigners on the Isle of Wight who are fighting council plans to close 9 of their 11 branches. See Isle of Wight library protesters plan 'mass borrow'
You can find links to other various TV reports and articles covering the campaign further down this page.
All this exposure will only be worthwhile if the campaign to save our library is successful.
What can I do to help?
1 - If you are a Milton Keynes resident, sign the official MK Council online petition at the link below. If you work or study in the the Stony Stratford area then you can also sign if you feel that the closure may affect you. You just need to register using your workplace, college or school address. Remember to forward this link on to any friends, relatives or colleagues that you have in Milton Keynes!
2 - Download and display the official campain poster;
Links to other media reports and articles;
- Anglia Tonight - Borrowers celebrate (15th January)
- Anglia Tonight - The Final Books Are Withdrawn (14th January)
- Anglia Tonight - Save The Stony Stratford Library Article (13th January)
- The Guardian - Library clears its shelves in protest at closure threat (14th January)
- The Independent - Library emptied in bid to fight closure (15th January)
- ABC News (Australia) - People power empties threatened library (16th January)
- BBC News - Buckinghamshire library emptied in cuts protest (17th January)
Related AboutMyArea/MK11 Articles;
- Save the Stony Stratford Library (2nd December 2010)
- Stony Stratford Town Council Urges MK Council to Look to the Future (6th December 2010)
- A response from the leader of Milton Keynes Council (13th December 2010)
- Save the Stony Stratford Library: Join the Campaign at the MK Council Offices on Tuesday 21st January (15th December 2010)
- Milton Keynes Council Draft Budget Proposals Released (23rd December 2010)
- MK Council Responds to Questions About Stony Stratford Library Closure Proposals (6th January 2011)
- 'Wot No Books' campaign features on TV News (14th January 2010)
- Photos from the 'Wot No Books' campaign at Stony Stratford Library (15th January)
For all the latest news and information from Stony Stratford and the rest of the MK11 area;
- Add us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/StonyStratford
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/StonyStratford