• Bookmark this page

The Best Guide for the Ely Area

Ely news, reviews and local events in Ely areas including Ely, Littleport, Witchford, and communities in Ely.

Calendar of
Upcoming Events
N & C Glass Ltd

Ely House Fire Started By Cigarette

Author: Marius West Published: 20th March 2017 15:29


Ely House Fire Started By Cigarette

Crews from Ely and Soham were called to a house fire in St Ovins Green.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel and covering jet to extinguish the fire and dampen down the surrounding area.

A female casualty was treated by ambulance staff at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Cause of the fire was accidental by smoking materials.

Crews returned to their stations by 10.21pm.

The fire was caused by a discarded cigarette and the occupant did not have any smoking alarms.

Watch Commander Jim Sharp said:“It is important to reiterate not to smoke in bed and to make sure you have working smoke alarms in your property.”

Cigarettes can easily start an accidental fire as tobacco is designed to stay alight so it is important that smokers check a cigarette is properly out when stubbed out in an ashtray.

For further safety advice on smoking at home please see our home safety page on our website and click through to the page on smoking.



Bookmark and Share

Report this article as inappropriate


You need to log in before you can do that! It's only a quick registration process to join the AMA network and completely free.

Sign in or join now to post a comment
Find a Local Business
Back to Top
© Copyright 2005-2018 AboutMyArea

AboutMyArea Privacy Policy

CB6: Ely Home | News | Community | Business Directory | Ely News | Ely Accomodation | Entertainment | Contact Us
AboutMyArea: Home | Site Map | Contact AboutMyArea | Terms & Conditions | Community Guidelines | Franchise Opportunity | Help

About Cookies