Recipe - Creamy Chicken & Butternut Squash Pie
|Published: 27th April 2008 15:56|
Creamy Chicken & Butternut Squash Pie
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
1 pack of puff pastry (the chiller cabinet one is easier than the frozen one)
3-4 skinless chicken breasts
20g dried porcini or porcini/oyster mushroom mix
1 lemon, halved
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
300g (approx) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
200g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
284ml carton of double cream
small handful of sage leaves, chopped (optional)
salt & pepper
1. Soak the porcini in 300ml hot water for 30 mins.
2. Rub the cut side of the lemon all over the chicken breasts then chop them into chunks. Heat oil in a pan large enough to hold all the pieces in one layer. Brown on both sides then place in a casserole/pie dish.
3. Heat oven to 180c (fan 160, gas 4). Melt the butter in the pan and when it stops foaming, add the onion plus 1 tsp of salt. Saute until pale gold.
4. Meanwhile, drain the porcini (reserving the liquid), rinse, pat dry and chop small. Add the porcini and squash to the onion and cook for 5 mins more, stirring frequently. Stir in the cream, 4-5 tbsp of the porcini water, sage (if using) and seasoning to taste. Simmer uncovered for 10-12 mins until reduced slightly, then pour over chicken.
5. Cover the dish with the pastry, trimming to fit. Place in the oven for approx 40 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.