The Annual Precept - What Your Parish Council Does With It!
|Published: 20th January 2012 01:08|
Castle Donington Parish Council announces the Annual Precept for 2012-13, also explaining what it is and what they will do with it.
The Annual Precept is the amount of your Council Tax that is spent directly by the Parish Council. As with the Council Tax the absolute amount is dependent on the Band your house is rated as. In Castle Donington it is, give or take, £1.20 per week.
The Parish Council has now set the Annual Precept for 2012-13 and has looked very closely at keeping increases to a realistic and reasonable amount, balancing potential additional spending responsibilities against the adverse economic background.
There is a real unknown in the world of local government expenditure; except that the District and County Councils have to make substantial savings, what these will be has yet to be clarified. These will, at some point in the near future affect the level and type of the services they will provide, and it is at this point, your Parish Council may decide that the service is important to the local community and opt that it should take this on. With this in mind, the Parish Council included a contingency in the Precept that could potentially be used to take on these services.
The Parish Council managed, even with these inclusions for "in-case scenarios" to keep the Precept increase to 3p per week for Band D property, a real achievement in this time of austerity. Full details of the final Precept can be obtained from the Clerk at the Parish Council offices.
The Parish Council is also very lucky in having an additional funding stream through the Market Charter that levies stallage charges on the Sunday Market at Donington Park. This has decreased over the recent years, however, is valuable source of funding for use on many capital projects, including new play areas, Christmas lights, new street furniture, etc.
What Castle Donington Parish Council does with your money:
- Provides and maintains four recreation grounds;
- Provides and maintains twelve children's play areas plus a skate park;
- Provides and maintains various areas of open space;
- Provides and maintains litter and dog bins on Parish Council owned land;
- Provides, maintains and manages the Barroon Cemetery;
- Provides, maintains and manages the Turf allotments
- Provides and maintains festive lighting displays;
- Provides and maintains floral displays;
- Organises and manages four annual village events;
- Comments on planning applications to the Local Planning Authority (NWLDC);
- Comments on matters it is consulted upon by the District and County councils;
- Supports local charities and organisations including Castle Donington Volunteer Bureau and Museum;
- Maintains Closed Churchyard at St Edwards' church, including contributing to the on-going maintenance of the external lights and church clock.
The Parish Council is very keen to promote the local community and a feeling of pride and feels very strongly that the events it runs actively bring the local community together and give people a sense of well being.
The Precept and additional grants and donations support the running of four major events, including the Medieaval May Market and Christmas Cheer Event.
Music in the Park has become a "village favourite" and although subsidised in the main by a donation from Live Nation, who runs Download at Donington Park, it is your Parish Council staff and members who organise and run this and all the other events!
It can be only too easy to voice an opinion on local issues but you know what they say - actions speak louder than words!
Currently there are vacancies on the Parish Council and if you would like to find out more, or are interested in becoming a local councillor then please contact The Clerk of the Parish Council on 01332-810432 firstname.lastname@example.org or North West Leicestershire District Council on 01530 454545.
Dates for the diary:
- Full Council 26 January and 23 February at the Parish Rooms
- Open House 4 April 2012
- Medieval May Market - 7 May 2012
- Music in the Park - 1 July 2012
Castle Donington Parish Council
Parish Rooms, Hillside, Castle Donington, Derby DE74 2NH
Telephone: 01332 810432
Clerk: Mrs Fiona Palmer