Moot Hall, Maldon
|Published: 12th August 2010 08:20|
THE MOOT HALL, HIGH STREET, MALDON
For about 580 years this handsome and imposing building has overseen the comings and goings of Maldon townsfolk from its prominent situation in the High Street. Its builder was Sir Robert D'Arcy (1385-1448). In a second phase of building an elaborate spiral staircase was inserted into the tower, and the whole building, including the tower, was raised in brickwork to its present height. Later a timber framed gallery with a tiled roof was added to the front of the new moot hall building at a cost of £20. The clock with its familiar five bell chimes was given in 1881 by George Courtauld. From 1889 it housed the County Police headquarters until 1914 when the present police station was opened. In 2006 the tower underwent an extensive programme of repairs.