Mince Pie Recipe
|Author: Kate Towerzey||Published: 6th December 2017 15:44|
Mince Pie Recipe
Why not try our delicious recipe - nothing else like warm homemade mince pies on a cold day filling your home with the wonderful smell of Christmas.
Ingredients for pastry:
400g plain flour
200g butter cubed
200g caster sugar
6 medium egg yolks
5 tsp cold water
Ingredient for Mincemeat:
1 small cooking apple
Quarter tsp of mixed spices
115g brown sugar
Grated rind of 1 large lemon and the juice
1 tbsp rum or brandy
You can also add 50g of chopped almonds if you wish
Method for Pastry:
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg yolks, sugar and butter together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in the butter, sugar and egg mixture.
- Time to get your hands messy! Using your fingers rub the mixture and flour together until it has bound together.
- Kneed the pastry until smooth and place in the fridge while you make the mincemeat mixture.
Method for Mincemeat filling:
- Grate the apple, including skin, into a large mixing bowl. Add the sultanas, raisins, mixed spices, brown sugar, rum, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Stir well ensuring that all of the ingredients are mixed together.
Method for Making the Mince Pies:
- Pre Heat the oven to 200c
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and divide in half.
- Role the one half out thinly and using a circular pasty cutter cut out 20 circles.
- Place the circles of pastry into a tartlet tin.
- Spoon the mincemeat mixture into each pastry case.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into circles. These circles will be the tops of the mince pies.
- Dampen the pastry edges and push down to form a seal.
- Make a snip in the top of the pies to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for twenty minutes then leave to cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle with some icing sugar and serve with ice cream, clotted cream or custard.
Do you have any Christmas recipes you are happy to share with others? We would love to hear from you. Please email us at email@example.com Thanks.