Gearing up for Summer Holiday Cycling Fun
|Published: 14th July 2017 10:12|
The 10 new colour coded cycle routes guide cyclists to different parts of the city using quieter roads which are more suited to less confident cyclists. Coloured stickers on lampposts mark out the routes and many connect so you can plan your journey.
The Pedal Portsmouth summer series will take place every Thursday from 11am-3pm during the school holidays at the following parks:
- 27 July - Bransbury Park - follow the orange route
- 3 August - Victoria Park - follow the dark green, silver or red route
- 10 August - Kingston Park - follow the dark blue route
- 17 August - Paulsgrove Park - follow the purple route and dark green route
- 24 August - Cosham Park - follow the dark blue, purple or dark green route
- 31 August - Alexandra Park - follow the dark green route
Activities at the events will include a fun cycle track, Bike Doctor, smoothie bike, music and lots of cycling information and goody bags.
Councillor Simon Bosher, Portsmouth City Council's cabinet member of Traffic & Transportation, said: "I hope our Pedal Portsmouth summer series will inspire more people to get out on their bikes this summer and use our new quieter routes to cycle to their local park and take part in the activities on offer. The council is running these events to encourage children and families to get on their bikes more to explore the city."
The Pedal Portsmouth summer series is organised by Portsmouth City Council.
For more information and to view the new quieter routes visit www.portsmouth.gov.uk/cycling or collect a map from your local library.