Moroccan Chicken with Honey
|Published: 30th June 2009 16:01|
3 tbsp runny honey
1 garlic clove
3 tbsp olive oil
½ pint/300ml chicken stock
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp saffron powder
½ tsp ground ginger
Salt and black pepper
4o/z/100g stoned black olives
1. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and put into a large shallow bowl. Squeeze the juice of one of the oranges and the lemon into a small bowl and stir in the honey.
2. Pour the fruit juice and honey over the chicken pieces and toss to coat all over. Cover the bowl and leave for one hour.
3. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Remove the chicken from the marinade and keep the marinade. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for 10 minutes over low heat. Add the chicken and fry for 10 minutes over moderately high heat.
4. Add the chicken stock and 2 tablespoons of the marinade. Add the turmeric, saffron, ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Peel and segment the other orange. Transfer the chicken to a serving bowl and garnish with the orange and the black olives.
6. Serve with raisin rice - fry raisins briefly with rice in oil then cook the rice in stock instead of water.