Home Dried Tomatoes
|Published: 27th August 2008 10:21|
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
4tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp caster sugar
A simple way of producing your own equivalent to sun-dried tomatoes. They are excellent tossed in a salad, used in tarts or mixed with pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 150°c. Drizzle half the oil over two baking trays.
- Cut the tomatoes lengthways in half, then slide the knife around the inside of each one and remove the pulp and pips.
- Arrange the tomato halves on the trays so that they are close but not touching. Drizzle the remaining oil over the top and sprinkle with the sugar and salt.
- Place the trays in the oven and cook for 45 minutes; the tomatoes should look shrunken and slightly coloured when done. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Pack the tomatoes into jars and cover in oil. They should keep for up to 6 months without refrigeration.
Recipe from the Riverford Farm Cook Book by Guy Watson and Jane Baxter
Courtesy of River Nene