The Green Room's recipe for a happy Chinese New Year
|Published: 23rd January 2012 12:03|
The Green Room restaurant is sharing its special recipe for a happy Chinese New Year.
Head Chef Andy Hilton grants partygoers a true taste of the Orient with his Simple Winter Vegetable Spring Rolls.
Simple Winter Vegetable Spring Rolls
10 spring roll pastry sheets
half celeriac grated
1 carrot grated
quarter white cabbage shredded
4 Jerusalem artichokes sliced
1 red chili finely chopped
1 egg beaten
1 knob ginger grated
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp Worcester sauce
• Heat pan until hot, add some oil and fry the vegetables and caraway seeds until slightly soft
• Add soy sauce, Worcester sauce and coriander. Mix well and remove from heat
• Place a spring roll pastry sheet flat on work top, with one corner at the top so that it resembles a diamond shape
• Brush the 4 edges with the beaten egg, and add a tablespoonful of the vegetable mix to the centre of the sheet
• Fold over the bottom corner to the centre followed by the 2 side corners, and then roll. Use some additional beaten egg to stick the final corner in place.
• Deep fry at 170c for 2 minutes, until pastry has coloured slightly
• Serve with a red watercress salad, dressed in sesame oil