Dads' Space 1-2-1 Webpage for Dads' Space Open Site
What is Dads' Space 1-2-1
There is more to Dads' Space than meets the eye. Not only do we provide no-nonsense parenting advice and product reviews, we also have our partner service: Dads' Space 1-2-1 - the Virtual Contact Centre, which is designed specifically for fathers who are separated from their children. The site encourages Dads to maintain and enhance their relationship with their children; enabling children to stay in contact with their Dad, even in difficult circumstances. As with the main Dads' Space site, 1-2-1 has also been backed through the DCSF.
Why Dads' Space 1-2-1?
Often Dads find themselves isolated as parents and many report finding their relationship with their children, difficult to maintain after separation. Support services have not always addressed the individual parenting needs, and specifically targeted fathers groups have not always triggered success. Research informs us that parents show a strong preference for the internet over other channels when accessing support and information, with over 60% of the fathers involved in the study, referring to the internet as their preferred channel. Dads' Space 1-2-1 aims to bridge the gap and address the problems parental separation creates for many families, Dads in particular.
When child contact issues are raised due to acrimonious separation and allegations of abuse, enabling safe, responsible father involvement has often proved problematic. Dads' Space 1-2-1 has been developed through wanting to find a way that
- Works for children - through providing them with more autonomy over contact arrangements and because children are more familiar with the internet as a way of supporting social relationships
- Allows fathers to communicate with their children in a way that does not place either the child or mother at risk. Dads' Space is a secure online service where safety is a priority, while still promoting Dads involvement in their children's lives.
How does Dads' Space work?
Like child contact in the real world, there are levels of access depending on safety and risk. All services offering support to children and families do so using a referral process and completing a risk assessment and Dads' Space 1-2-1 is no exception. There are three contact privileges and following the completion of the assessment, Dads' Space will determine what level of contact the child and their father can have. The three levels are:
- v Indirect - this allows parent and child to play games and exchange preset text; cards; gifts and greetings. There will be no free text permitted and is the most secure level.
- v Supervised - allowing a broad exchange of information, sharing photos and the playing of games. However, all communication is moderated before it is transmitted.
- v Supported - this allows free real-time communication which is sampled and post moderated to ensure that the service is being used appropriately.
We have now launched Mums' Space on www.mums-space.org this site is a mirror image of www.dads-space.org but meets the needs of separated mothers. Either site is useful for separtated siblings and grandpartents to use.
Both services are free and opertate nationally. For referral information contact the dads'space administrtator on t: 020 7022 1853 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org