Conservatives Shortlist Candidates for Police & Crime Commissioner Elections
|Author: Jim Fleming||Published: 30th May 2012 11:36|
A meeting that is open to every voter in Hampshire & IOW is to be held to interview and shortlist the finalists for the Conservative Party's nomination for the Police & Crime Commissioner Elections which will take place on 15th November 2012.
The six candidates listed below will speak and be questioned for half an hour and once all candidates have been heard a ballot will take place. The top two candidates will then go before meetings of Conservative Party members for the final choice.
- Roger Ainsley, a Rear Admiral in the Royal Navy from Southsea in Portsmouth.
- Christopher Brannigan, aLieutenant Colonel in the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards from Winchester.
- Donna Jones, a magistrate and Portsmouth City Councillor from Cosham in Portsmouth.
- Melville Kendall, a private investment consultant and executive member of Hampshire County Council from Milford on Sea, near Lymington.
- Michael Mates, a former Member of Parliament in Hampshire for 36 years from Winchester.
- Sean Woodward, the leader of Fareham Borough Council and a businessman from Whiteley in Hampshire.
Jim Fleming, who is the Conservatives' Hampshire & IOW Area Chairman, and responsible for overseeing the selection process for the Party said, "We were very keen to give the public a say in who our candidate would be. The Open Primary experience in Gosport to pick their MP showed how good the public are at picking the right people for these roles. Unfortunately the cost of such an operation across an entire county is simply too great, but that wasn't going to stop us working out a more cost effective way of allowing the wider public to have their say and, similar to the various Open processes in the US, we've opted for an Open Caucus. This isn't happening everywhere and it is actually something we are pioneering here in Hampshire & IOW."
The final two candidates will then go before a series of three meetings of Conservative Party members, one in North Hampshire, one in South Hampshire and one on the IOW, where Party members will make the final choice from the two that the public shortlist, with the selected candidate being announced at the final meeting on 5th July 2012. The Open Caucus meeting to interview candidates and vote for the finalists will be held on Saturday 16th June 2012 during the daytime in Fareham. For more information and to register to attend the Open Caucus email: email@example.com
In order to attend you must REGISTER in advance, be over 18 and on the electoral register for a constituency in Hampshire and IOW. The closing date for registration is June 8th 2012 Those without internet access can call the registration hotline for further details on 01264 353398.