Public Meeting - Hornsea Carnival Friday in Hall Garth Park
|Published: 20th January 2010 16:07|
Hornsea Carnival Committee Announce a Public Meeting for Hornsea Residents
Tuesday, 9th February 2010, from 19.00 to 21.00 at Hornsea Methodist Church (use Side Entrance)
The purpose of the meeting is to consult with local residents and to explain the reasons behind the proposed relocation of Friday Night Carnival from Hornsea Seafront to Hall Garth Park
Tradition has it that Hornsea Carnival kicks-off proceedings every year with a firework spectacular on Hornsea's North Promenade. However, the facts of the matter are that Carnival Fridays are a huge loss-leader for Hornsea's Carnival Committee. Costs are high and monies raised via bucket collections are sadly negligible. Several hundred pounds are levied by East Yorkshire Council and Policing is now an additional cost that the Carnival Committee has to bear. On top of that there is the litter-picking, the movement of rides between the Prom and Hall Garth Park and the constant involvement and supervision required by Carnival Committee volunteers. All-in-all it is a costly exercise.
- the Carnival footprint is kept within finite boundaries
- Policing is made easier
- Litter control is made easier
- Disruption within the town is decreased, Carnival Rides do not have to re-locate overnight
- A proper 'Opening Ceremony' becomes a possibility
- a leading UK Firework Display company has performed a feasibility study and can provide a Level 2 Low-Level Firework Display with no risk to the public or surrounding properties
- Traders can set-up on Friday and provide additional Friday Night interest that is not currently possible on the Prom
- There is the possibility of Storytellers and live music acts providing entertainment on Friday night in the Marquees
- Lack of Proximity to a Public House
These are just a few of the considerations. If you would like to learn more or to state your view then Carnival Committee representatives and hopefully, firework company representatives will be available to answer your questions. Just come along and ask them!