Neston Air Cadets - Squadron 2375
|Published: 4th October 2013 08:52|
Squadron 2375 of the Air Training Corps is based at Tanks Field, Church Lane, Neston.
Sponsored by the Royal Air Force, and welcoming both boys and girls aged between 12 and 17, the purpose-built Squadron unit in Neston provides a base for a wide variety of exciting activities and skills training.
The aims of the ATC are to:
- Promote and encourage a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force among young people
- Provide training which will be useful in the Services and civilian life
- Encourage the spirit of adventure and develop qualities of leadership and good citizenship
- And there's one more important thing - it's a lot of fun!
Where, when and what?
The Squadron meets every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 9.30pm. Each new recruit will be given a basic 15-week training period as a probationer, after which they become 1st Class Cadets and can take part in activities such as:
- Flying and Gliding (at RAF Woodvale in Formby and Turnhill in Shropshire)
- Shooting (full bore at the Sealand Ranges, and Air Rifle training at Neston)
- Adventurous Training (Camps, Canoeing, Mountain Biking, Hill Walking, Caving and more)
- Duke of Edinburgh (opportunities to succeed at Bronze, Silver and Gold levels)
- Sports (Swimming, Athletics, Football, Hockey, Netball, Cross Country and more)
- Training & Education (BTECs, City & Guilds, First Aid and Leadership Training)
- Parade & Drill (promoting the benefits of discipline, organisation and teamwork).
Neston Squadron taking part in a recent adventure
Naturally flight activities are popular amongst the Cadets, and at Neston they have their own flight simulation equipment, as well as participating in aircraft recognition projects and, in their modelling room, they can work on model aircraft and dioramas.
The Squadron are also very active in raising funds for local and national charities such as Claire House, Riding for the Disabled, Marie Curie Cancer Care and the Poppy Appeal.
Neston's Squadron particularly benefits from its location, which allows for frequent camps and training excursions to such places as Snowdonia, Denbighshire, Shropshire and Awesome Walls in Liverpool. They also take part in various competitions against other Squadrons throughout the year. Every September they participate in a regional competition amongst the 30 squadrons based around Merseyside. Sqn 2375 (Neston) are proud of their consistent record of achieving a place in the Top 5.
If you would like more information about the Air Cadets, there are several options open to you:
- Visit the national website here - it will give you plenty of information about what's involved, the benefits of being a Cadet, and how to join.
- Telephone 0151 336 2551
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't be shy about taking that first step - it may be the best thing you've ever done. Go for it!
2375 (Neston) Sqn Air Cadets
off Church Lane