Attractions near Poole
|Author: Steven Shaw||Published: 6th October 2008 21:27|
The Bournemouth Oceanarium is situated on Bournemouth's seafront on the West Beach promenade, nearby Poole. This is one of Bournemouth and Poole's most popular attractions for children and features many well-stocked aquariums and huge tanks. Attractions at the Bournemouth Oceanarium include large sharks, an underwater viewing tunnel, enormous sea turtles, colourful marine fish, coral reef areas, crabs, lobsters, tropical fish, giant catfish, feeding displays and talks, plasma screen documentaries and a number of interesting exhibits. Other attractions at the Bournemouth Oceanarium include a café and a large gift shop.
Children's attraction open: daily - 10:00 to 18:00
Children's attraction admission: charge, discounts available for senior citizens, students and children
Address: - Pier Approach, West Beach, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH2 5AA, England
Contact: - Tel: +44 (0)1202 311 993 - Website : http://www.oceanarium.co.uk/
The Bournemouth Eye
Tethered Balloon Flights every day from the beautiful Lower Gardens in central Bournemouth. The Bournemouth Eye, Bournemouth's Highest attraction, is a spherical helium-filled balloon with an enclosed gondola that carries 25-30 passengers. Tethered by a high tensile steel cable, the balloon lifts to a height of 500 feet while providing a panoramic view of the English Channel and surrounding area (over 20 miles) from the highest public observation point in Bournemouth.
Address: - The Lower Gardens, Bournemouth. BH1 2AQ - Website : www.bournemouthballoon.com/index.htm
Alison in Wonderland Family Park
The Alison in Wonderland Family Park is a children's park, aimed at families with younger children, and is situated close to Poole. Inspired by Lewis Carroll's famous story 'Alice the Wonderland', this theme-park includes many attractions for children, such as jumping bean trampolines, junior go-karts, a large astroslide, a runaway train, a teacup ride, flying elephants and an indoor play area, with soft toys for young children. Other attractions include one of Europe's largest hedge mazes, a restaurant, picnic areas, a gift shop selling a range of Alice in Wonderland souvenirs, and storytelling on the lawn, with a large cast of colourful actors.
Children's attraction open: April to mid-September, daily - 10:00 to 18:00, mid-September to October, Saturday and Sunday - 10:00 to 17:00
Children's attraction admission: charge for attractions, children under three years old are free
Address: - Merritown Lane, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 6BA, England
Contact: - Tel: +44 (0)1202 483444 - Website : www.adventurewonderland.co.uk/
Paultons Park is located 52 km / 32 miles from central Poole and is easy to reach by car. This family leisure park has over 50 attractions for both adults and children of all ages. Attractions include many slow and fast rides, exotic birds, replica dinosaurs, museums with interactive exhibits, animated shows for children, stunning gardens, and play areas for children. The rides at Paultons Park, nearby Poole, include a log flume, an astroglide, a wave runner, an exciting rollercoaster and a teacup ride. There is also a 'Tiny Tots Town' for younger children and an enchanting 'Magic Forest' area. Other attractions include a large gift shop, a café and parking.
Children's attraction open: daily - 10:00 to 18:30 (weekends only during November and December, closing earlier)
Children's attraction admission: charge for attractions, discounts available for children
Address: - Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 6AL, England
Contact: - Tel: +44 (0)2380 814455 - Website : www.paultonspark.co.uk/index.html
The National Motor Museum, few car museums in the world can match the unique collection of the world renowned National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. Managed by the National Motor Museum Trust, Beaulieu is also the home of the world famous Beaulieu International Autojumble and Automart. Whether your interest is as an individual, a motor enthusiast, or as a member of an interest group or educational party, when it comes to cars, motorbikes, commercial vehicles, motoring eccentricities and memorabilia, the National Motor Museum is firmly in the driving seat.
With the Collection now comprising some 250 vehicles - from some of the earliest examples of motoring to legendary World Record Breakers like Bluebird and Golden Arrow - you are sure to find something to fascinate you.
Address: - Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, Hampshire. SO42 7ZN
The village is constructed almost completely from the local grey Purbeck limestone and comprises two main streets, East Street and West Street, linked at their north end at the Square. Around the square, with its cross commemorating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee of 1897, are clustered the small collection of shops, the post office, church and pubs. The main route through the village is East Street which forms part of the A351 main road taking traffic to Wareham in the north and Swanage in the south. Separating the two streets is an area of common land called "the Halves".
Corfe Castle railway station lies to the east of East Street, adjacent to the village centre. Originally the only intermediate station on the London and South Western Railway's branch line from Wareham to Swanage, the station is now a stop on the Swanage Railway, a steam locomotive operated heritage railway. The railway links the tourist centres of Corfe Castle and Swanage with each other, and with a Park and Ride site at Norden station just to the north of Corfe Castle.
Website : www.corfe-castle.co.uk/
National Tank Museum
The Bovington Tank Museum is the foremost collection of armoured vehicles in the United Kingdom. With almost 300 vehicles on exhibition from 26 countries it is the most wide-ranging collection of tanks and armoured vehicles in the world, and includes one of two working examples of a German Tiger I tank in the world and a British World War I Mark I - the world's oldest surviving combat tank.
The collection is held at the Bovington Army camp in the county of Dorset in South West England, about 1 mile (2 km) north of the town of Wool and 12 miles (20 km) west of the major port of Poole - grid reference SY829883. The camp trains all sections of the British Army in tracked vehicle driving as well as repairing and maintaining the vehicles in its workshops. The museum is situated within the camp.
Address: - The Tank Museum, Bovington, Dorset. BH20 6JG
Contact : - Tel: 01929 405096 / Fax: 01929 405360 / Email: email@example.com / Website : www.tankmuseum.org/
The Tank Museum is open daily 10.00 - 17.00
Here are some more great attractions
- Blue Pool - Dorset beauty spot with a difference.[Furzebrook Road, Wareham, BH20 5AT]
- Bournemouth Town - Neighbouring coastal resort.
- Courtyard Craft Village - Craft & hobby experience.
- Cranbourne Manor & Garden Centre - Explore the grounds of the Manor House.
- Compton Acres - Historic Gardens
- Kingston Lacy - Fine old National Trust house set in lovely grounds.
- Kingston Maurward Gardens - Gardens and Animal Park set in the beautiful Dorset countryside, this is a well hidden secret of Dorset !
- Knoll Gardens & Nursery - A garden for all seasons.
- Royal Signals Museum - The story of the evolution of battlefield communications - including new SAS exhibition
- The Museum of Electricty - Explore the history of electricty.[The Old Power Station,Bargates,Christchurch,Dorset. BH23 1QE]
- The Purbecks - Unique coastline and countryside in Dorset.
- Swanage Steam Railway - Enjoy the Dorset countryside from a Steam Train !
- Walford Mill Craft Centre - This craft centre aims to promote high quality crafts
- Wimbourne Model Town & Gardens - Exactly what it says it is !
Attractions for children nearby Poole include:
- Abbotsbury Swannery - New Barn Road Abbotsbury, Weymouth, DT3 4JT, England
- Blue Reef Aquarium - Clarence Esplanade, Southsea, PO5 3PB, England
- Cholderton Rare Breeds Farm - Beacon House, Amesbury Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 0EW, England
- Church Knowle Animal Sanctuary - Margaret Green Foundation Trust Head Office, Church Knowle, Wareham, BH20 5NQ
- Farmer Giles Farm - Teffont, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP3 5QY
- Farmer Palmer's Farm Park - Wareham Road Organford, Poole, Dorset, BH16 6EU
- Finkley Down Farm Park - Finkley Down, Andover, SP11 6NF
- Honeybrook Farm - Stanbridge, Wimborne, BH21 4JD
- Longdown Activity Farm - Longdown Ashurst, Southampton, SO40 4UH
- Marwell Zoological Park - Colden Common, Winchester, SO21 1JH
- Monkey World - Longthorns, Wareham, BH20 6HH
- New Forest Reptile Centre - A35 Poole Road, Lyndhurst, SO43 7DP
- The New Forest Otter, Owl and Wildlife Park - Deerleap Lane Longdown, Ashurst, SO40 4UH
- Putlake - 1 High Street Langton Matravers, near Swanage, BH19 3EU
- Smugglers Barn and Children's Farm - New Barn Road, Abbotsbury
- UK Llamas - New House Farm Mosterton, Beaminster, DT8 3HE
- The Wildlife Park at Cricket St. Thomas - Chard, TA20 4DB