Six Rescued From Southsea Care Home Fire
|Published: 11th March 2015 12:45|
Portsmouth firefighters rescued six elderly people from a fire in a care home in Villiers Road, Southsea late last
Control operators mobilised five pumps from Southsea and Cosham to the incident at 11:10pm on Tuesday 10 March.
On arrival 17 residents had been evacuated by the staff but six persons were still in the building.
Ten firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rushed in to the building to rescue the six remaining residents who were found and carried out to safety.
Station Manager Charlie Harris, Officer in Charge of the incident said: "Crews did a fantastic job on scene. They got into the care home quickly and through previous Dementia Friends training, the firefighters were able to reassure the residents, some of whom suffered from dementia and learning difficulties. They were able to calm them down, explain clearly what was going on and carry them out of the building to safety.
The fire, which involved a tumble dryer, was contained in the basement of the four storey property. The fire doors, which had been shut, meant that the fire did not spread throughout the property and was contained to the room of origin. The fire was extinguished using hose reels and jets.
Station Manager Harris continued: "We urge all Hampshire residents not leave electrical appliances unattended, especially over night. This incident also shows the value of fire doors which help to contain a fire. The working fire alarms in the property also gave early warning to the staff and residents."
Twenty-three residents were checked over by the South Central Ambulance Service on scene and two females were taken to hospital as a precaution for slight smoke inhalation. The residents did not have to be re-housed and have been able to return to the care home.
Deputy Manager of Summerlands Care Home, Elysia Fung said: "We are hugely appreciative of the efforts and help given to us by the fire service and the ambulance service.
"We are pleased that no one has suffered any ill-effects as a result of the fire."