Weekly Recipe From The Award Winning Chef, Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding
|Author: Alan Paton||Published: 8th October 2016 15:29|
Sticky Toffee Pudding
Chef Alan Paton is a Craft Guild Member and Master Chef of Great Britain
In these days of intolerances and allergies we are very often asked to serve peoples favourites from before they were diagnosed with for instance coeliac disease.
So in response to that we started to offer a vegan style Sticky Toffee Pudding.
Now, I know this is somewhat a departure for me but this is and continue will to be a growing market.
This is our vegan recipe for sticky toffee pudding.
The quantities for the toffee sauce are large, but that’s the best part of a sticky toffee pudding.
Ingredients for sponge
- 250ml soya milk
- 100ml water
- 200g dates
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 115g vegan margarine
- 115g soft brown sugar
- 200g white self raising flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients for toffee sauce
- 100g golden syrup
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 150g vegan margarine
- 100ml soya cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C-Gas5.
- Line a 20cmx 20cm shallow cake tin with baking parchment.
- Chop the dates in half & put them in a small saucepan and cover with the soya milk & water & simmer until the dates are soft.
- Take off the heat & stir in the bicarbonate of soda, which will froth as you add it to the date mixture. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the margarine & sugar until pale & creamy.
- Add the date mixture & stir in.
- Mix the spices into the flour. Sieve the flour & fold into the sponge mixture.
- Spoon the sponge mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30minutes or until cooked & the sponge bounces back when pressed.
- To make the sauce: melt the syrup, margarine, sugar & vanilla essence in a small saucepan & simmer for 5 minutes without stirring. Leave to cool slightly & then stir in the soya cream.
- Prick the pudding all over & pour half the hot toffee sauce over the pudding. Serve the rest of the sauce with the pudding & if you like a scoop of vanilla soya icecream.