My wellbeing pledge – taking the first step to a healthy mind
|Author: Megan Denny||Published: 14th May 2019 08:28|
It is common for people to take steps to maintain their physical health, whether it is exercise, healthy eating or simply brushing their teeth. Likewise, when people are feeling unwell or under the weather they go to their local pharmacy, GP, or call NHS 111.
However, often people do not give the same focus when it comes to looking after their own mental wellbeing. It is also known people are less likely to receive the support they need when it comes to their mental wellbeing – whether it be confiding in a friend or speaking to a professional.
That’s why this Mental Health Awareness Week (13 to 19 May 2019), Northamptonshire Health and Care Partnership (NHCP) and Northamptonshire County Council Public Health are inviting you to make a pledge to look after your mental wellbeing in the same way you would your physical health, using the ‘5 ways to wellbeing’ as your guide:
- Connect with the people around me
- Be active in a way that suits me and that I enjoy
- Take notice and be mindful of my surroundings
- Keep learning new skills and developing myself
- Give what I can whether it is my time or simply a random act of kindness
A focus on these steps has been shown to have a positive impact on mental wellbeing. The pledge can be however big or small as you like – even the smallest improvements in wellbeing can help to decrease and even prevent some mental health problems.
Lucy Wightman, Director of Public Health (Northamptonshire) said: “Mental health related illnesses are one of the biggest health concerns in Northamptonshire. In an increasingly busy world, it is easy to neglect your mental wellbeing, which in some cases can lead to the development of more serious mental health conditions. The “My Wellbeing Pledge” campaign reminds us how some simple steps following the 5 ways to wellbeing can actively help us to manage our mental health and make positive lifestyle changes.”
To find out more about the ‘5 ways to wellbeing’ you can view the video here: www.mypledge.me.uk
So how can you make a pledge?
Making a pledge is quick and easy; you can make a pledge online here and see your pledge be part of a pledge wall. Your pledge alone can make a real difference, it may encourage those around you to get involved or to make one themselves.
Please do share the pledge and your ideas with people you know. If you use social media please join in the community of pledges and the conversation by using the hashtag #mywellbeingpledge.
Stuck for ideas?
Here are just a few to get you started:
- Connect: start a lunch and natter club at your work or with your social groups
- Be active: send us your unusual physical activities/sports we have never heard of using the hashtag #mywellbeingpledge
- Take notice: picture a day calendar
- Keep learning: share with us the things you have read, watched or listened to which have made an impact and taught you something new
- Give: Thank someone for their acts of kindness
And don’t forget there are services available to support you if you need them, please visit www.mypledge.me.uk to find out more.