Christmas Security Advice For Rugby's Shops And Businesses
|Author: Hazel Nicholas||Published: 21st December 2011 16:18|
Christmas security advice for Rugby's shops and businesses
As Christmas draws closer Warwickshire Police is asking shops and businesses to review their security to help deter thieves.
George Stepney Crime Prevention Manager said "At this time of year thieves and robbers may look to shops and businesses to provide them with extra Christmas presents.
Shops can be vulnerable to robbery, especially at closing times so officers are urging shop managers to make sure that they bank their cash regularly and have sufficient staff on hand to deter criminals who may be mixed in with last minute shoppers.
Shop staff are also urged to keep handbags and mobiles locked or hidden out of sight.
Shops selling high value goods such as jewellery are urged to increase staffing to cover the door to screen people entering and exiting the shop.
To deter burglars when businesses are shut overnight or during the Christmas break, Warwickshire Police has also issued the following crime prevention advice.
George Stepney explained "Thieves know that many businesses will be empty during the festive season. By following this advice, you can help to protect your property and belongings ."
- Do not leave cash on the premises
- Leave till drawers open or remove them so a potential thief can see there's nothing to steal
- Close and lock internal and external doors
- Remove spare door keys from the premises, or lock them away securely.
- Check all windows are locked and closed.
- If possible, lock away valuable property.
- If on site parking is available, leave vehicles on your premises.
- Remove vehicle keys from the premises or lock them away securely.
- Cancel deliveries that may arrive during the holiday period.
- Consider visiting the premises to move from view any post that may have been delivered.
- Do not leave any rubbish outside your premises that could be used to start a fire.
- Remove any item left outside which might help a criminal to break in.
- Ensure your key holder list with Police Safe is up to date.
- Ensure you have updated your internal key holder details and call out lists.
- Back up all your computer systems and store a copy of your data off premises.
- When returning after Christmas ensure your computer virus software is updated before downloading email or using the Internet.
You can download this advice as a PDF file by clicking the following link: http://www.warwickshire.police.uk/crimeprevention/businesscp/XMASadvice.pdf