High Performance Car Owners Warned Of Car Key Burglaries
|Author: Hazel Nicholas||Published: 10th January 2012 10:46|
High Performance Car Owners Warned Of Car Key Burglaries.
Police in Warwickshire are warning owners of high performance car to be alert to criminals intent on stealing their vehicles via car key burglaries, thefts and robberies.
High value and high performance vehicles have been targeted in car key burglaries and robberies in Warwickshire and West Midlands.
Crime prevention officers warned motorists and residents not to risk personal safety by confronting offenders - particularly if they are armed or threaten any form of violence.
Force Crime Prevention Officer, Ian King said: "Motorists should avoid putting themselves in danger when confronted by car thieves.
"If someone who is determined to steal your vehicle is armed or threatens you in any way, hand over the keys. Personal safety is the most important consideration.
"Often there is more than one offender involved in these incidents and you may be putting yourself at greater risk by attempting to resist a car theft."
Motorists to advised to follow the below advice to reduce the risk of night-time car key burglaries.
- Never leave house or car keys on view near a door or window. Criminals can hook keys through open windows and letterboxes.
- Remove keys from doors locks before retiring for the night.
- If possible park cars in a secure garage overnight.
- Invest in a good quality home security system.
- Invest in security lights to the front and rear of your property.
- Install a satellite tracking system in high value cars - if stolen it can be more easily traced.
An opportunist thief may attempt to steal an unattended car from a petrol station forecourt.
- Always lock the car when you leave it at the pump to pay for fuel.
- Always take the car key with you.
- Try not to leave young children in an unattended vehicle while you are in the shop.
- Never leave any valuables on display while you pay.