Photos from the 'Wot No Books' campaign at Stony Stratford Library
|Author: Andy Roberts||Published: 16th January 2011 10:16|
At 11am on Saturday (15th January), the press were invited to Stony Stratford library to take some photos of some empty bookshelves - the result of the recent 'Wot No Books' campaign to help save the Stony Stratford library from closure.
The campaign has received extensive coverage from the local, regional and national media. You can find links to a number of their reports further down this page.
Around 150 people turned up to show their support. Here are a few photos...
Around 16,000 lendable items have been withdrawn from the library at part of the campaign
Local people of all ages once again gathered to show their suport for their local library.
Robert Gifford, head of the Stony Stratford Town Council (pictured on the far right) was present along with members of the 'Friends of Stony Library' group
David Odell (2nd from the left) was amongst others who represented the town's Business Association
Anglia TV cameras were there for the third day in the row. Links to their previous reports are available further down this page
Emily Malleson, from the Friends of Stony Stratford Library group sais that "the amount of support is just staggering." She calculated that books had been checked out at a rate of around 378 per hour.
Anglia TV interview David Quayle - The man who came up with the 'Wot No Books' idea.
Links to other media reports and articles;
- Anglia Tonight - Borrowers celebrate (15th January)
- Anglia Tonight - The Final Books Are Withdrawn (14th January)
- Anglia Tonight - Save The Stony Stratford Library Article (13th January)
- The Guardian - Library clears its shelves in protest at closure threat (14th January)
- The Independent - Library emptied in bid to fight closure (15th January)
- ABC News (Australia) - People power empties threatened library (16th January)
- BBC News - Buckinghamshire library emptied in cuts protest (17th January)
On Saturday, AboutMyArea/MK11 was contacted by BBC Radio 4 News about the campaign. Listen out for them speaking to campaign organiser Emily Malleson.
Please sign the online petition to keep the Stony Stratford library open:
- Save the Stony Stratford Library (2nd December 2010)
- Stony Stratford Town Council Urges MK Council to Look to the Future (6th December 2010)
- A response from the leader of Milton Keynes Council (13th December 2010)
- Save the Stony Stratford Library: Join the Campaign at the MK Council Offices on Tuesday 21st January (15th December 2010)
- Milton Keynes Council Draft Budget Proposals Released (23rd December 2010)
- MK Council Responds to Questions About Stony Stratford Library Closure Proposals (6th January 2011)
- 'Wot No Books' campaign features on TV News (14th January 2010)
- Save Stony Stratford Library Campaign Goes International (18th January)
For all the latest news and information from Stony Stratford and the rest of the MK11 area;
- Add us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/StonyStratford
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/StonyStratford