|Author: Riverford Organics||Published: 15th May 2018 06:49|
This is a classic, simple but tasty Portuguese soup. It's hearty enough to be a meal on its own and quick enough for midweek cooking. Spring greens, kale or dark green cabbage will all work; anything robust in the greens department. If your potato breaks up a little, all the better. Serve on its own or with bread for mopping up any extra sauce.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
• Oil for frying, e.g. sunflower or light olive
• 300g cooking chorizo, skins removed, meat roughly crumbled
• 1 onion, finely sliced
• 500g potatoes, peeled & diced into 2cm chunks
• 1 garlic clove (or 2 if you really like it), finely chopped
• 600ml chicken stock
• 2 bay leaves
• 200g spring greens, de-ribbed & shredded
• Salt & pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan. Add the chorizo and stir-fry on a medium heat (not too hot so it burns) for 4-5 minutes, to lightly crisp it and release its paprika juices. Transfer it to a plate.
- Add the onion to the same pan with a splash more oil, reduce the heat to very low and fry, stirring now and then to stop it catching, for 10 minutes. Add a splash of water if it looks like it might catch at any stage.
- After 10 minutes, add the potato, garlic and chorizo meat to the onion. Stir for 2 minutes. Add the stock, bay leaves, a little pepper and bring up to a low boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add the shredded spring greens and cook for about 8-10 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the greens have wilted and the potatoes are tender.
- Keep an eye on the liquid level and top up with a little more stock or water if needs be. Remove the bay leaves and check the seasoning to serve.
Courtesy of http://www.riverford.co.uk/